Friday, December 2, 2011

Are you a descendant of one of our first setters?

If you are a descendant of one of the first settlers, tell us about your family.

My grandfather Andrew Whiffin and my grandmother Elizabeth Slaney were married and then came to settle in Pasadena. Elizabeth was from St. Lawrence and Andrew was from Fox Harbour(help me out here,Larry, Wanda or Donna). They were one of the first families to settle in Pasadena, Newfoundland. Andrew was in the war and as a child I remember seeing a large picture of him in his uniform hung in their home. It now hangs in Madeline Whiffin's home, as her deceased husband Patrick Whiffin was the oldest son of Andrew and Elizabeth.

The Whiffin family grew to include Patrick(usually called Paddy, who married Madeline Murphy), Carmel(who married Henry Blackwood), Kathleen(who married William Byrne), Joan(who married my father, Albert Finlay), Andrew,Joan's twin brother, Elizabeth(who married Darryl Shears), Joseph(who married...?.....). Patrick and Madeline lived next door to my grandparents, to the right of their home. Albert and Joan Finlay built their house next door, to the left of my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment